Relics of Saint Anne

The Shrine has in its possession three notable relics.

The FIRST RELIC (a portion of the bone of Saint Anne's finger) was obtained by the Carcassonne Chapter, and was brought to the Shrine on March 12, 1670 by Bishop François de Laval.

The first MAJOR RELIC arrived at the Shrine on July 26, 1892, as a gift from Pope Leo XIII. It is a 4-inch portion of the bone of Saint Anne's forearm. It was obtained from the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls, in Rome, and was brought to Saint Anne de Beaupré by Bishop Joseph-Calixte Canac-Marquis (1821-1904).

Finally, on July 3, 1960, another MAJOR RELIC of Saint Anne (also from her forearm) was brought to the Shrine from The Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls, this time, as a gift from Blessed Pope John XXIII.

Back to top